[gdal-dev] Python 1.6 bindings under Windows

Markus Reinhold markus.reinhold at uni-jena.de
Mon Jul 27 21:02:48 EDT 2009

Dear all,
I'm pretty sure it has been asked before, however I wasn't able to find
an answer to my question in the archive, so please bear with me...
I'm using a number of oss geo tools under Windows using the OSGeo4W
binary distribution. I have installed the 1.6-version of GDAL and can
find it under c:\osgeo4w\apps\gdal-16. This directory also includes the
Python bindings that I want to use instead of my current ones. Now I'm
stuck on how to achieve this. The usual *from osgeo import gdal* always
supplies me with the current 1.5-version of the bindings, so I somehow
suspect that I have to tell Python to prefer the 1.6-pymod directory
over the one it usually uses - but how so?
A second question that is related to the first one: Is there any way to
check the version of the bindings that have been imported by a script -
anything analogous to "--version" on the command line?
I'd appreciate any help.
Thank you in advance.
Regards,
Markus