[gdal-dev] PNG usage issues

ariasgore at gmx.de ariasgore at gmx.de
Fri Jul 31 04:12:46 EDT 2009

Hello,

we have been using an old gdal version (1.0.x) with our projects, there was the png support compiled into the gdal library. Dependency Walker proved there were global png_* functions in the gdal library (.dll at this point)

Due to some issues with png I had to update the png format directory and replaced all old png lib files with new ones (the gdal version remained unchanged)
but now the compiled lib does not contain any png related functions anymore.

Same goes for the latest gdal 1.6.x version.

I was trying to read a png file by including
png/pngdataset.h which is provided by gdal. during compile and link-time this action fails with unresolved symbol errors (in VC it's LNK2019).
Missing functions are png_create_struct and so on, basically it looks like even if the nmake.opt should build and include png as internal lib, there are no functions exported with it.

nmake and everything else have been left with their default values, so I dont get, how gdal is supposed to handle png now.

Thanks
Sam