[gdal-dev] Erdas .img format (HFA) overview troubles

Christiaan Janssen cjanssen at iavo-rs.com
Mon Jun 1 10:20:58 EDT 2009

After reading the HFA image format description, I was under the impression that GDAL would support external .ovr files for this format but it seems that is not the case. I ran quick test with gdaladdo ("gdaladdo -ro test.img 2 4 8") and got the following error message: "ERROR 6: BuildOverviews() not supported for this dataset." After poking through the code a bit I can see that HFA driver doesn't seem to be using the default overview manager so it would seem that .ovr files aren't actually ever being used (but i could be wrong). Was this the intended result, or is this a bug?
Christiaan