[gdal-dev] missing nulls in vrt from GRASS rasters

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Sat Jun 6 14:37:39 EDT 2009

William,

you didn't mention how you have generated the VRT. If it's with gdalbuildvrt,
I've just commited a change in trunk (r17201) that probably solves your
issue. It appears that when a source has a nodata value, it is not sufficient
to set it at the VRTRasterBand level. It must also been specified for each
source by using a ComplexSource instead of a SimpleSource, so that nodata
pixels from the source are not drawned on the destination buffer.

You can fix your VRT manually by replacing all SimpleSource references by
ComplexSource and by adding a <NODATA>256</NODATA> inside each
<ComplexSource> element.

Note that with qgis from svn trunk, I could manage to make it display
correctly RGB images whose bands are of type UInt16 (it displayed only
black), even when specifying the value range as 0...255 instead of the
default 0...65535. I had to edit manually the VRT so that the VRTRasterBands
are declared as Byte. This appears to be a qgis issue/feature, as openev can
display correctly the same VRT.

Regards,

Even