[gdal-dev] hdf5 to esri shape-file converter

Chandra Shekhar Kumar chandra.kumar at flagstonere.bm
Wed Jun 17 13:13:46 EDT 2009

Steffen,

>Hi Chandra,
>
>> I was looking for a converter tool to convert a given hdf5 file
(.mh5)
>> esri shape-files(.shp) and vice versa.
>
>GDAL supports reading of HDF5 raster data.
[Chandra ] this is really cool news for me.

>But Shape files are vector
>data.
>The process to convert from raster to vector data is called
>Vectorization.
>And Vectorization is not a straightforward thing. See e.g
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vectorization_(computer_graphics)
Thanks for the info. It is very useful for me.

>But HDF5 can actually many different things:
>Are you talking about HDF5 files with raster or vector data?
[Chandra ] I have hdf files holding vector data only(basically
longitude, latitude, speed etc).
Do you think that it will easier now to convert it to shape files?

I thought that just inspecting the hdf-file to grab the vector data
somehow will be really cool if it holds that and the same can be
converted to shape files using ogr api.
May be it is not that cool :(

Many a thanks,
Chandra

This communication contains information which is confidential and may also be legally privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s), disclosure, copying, distribution, or other use of, or action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance upon, this communication or the information in it is prohibited and maybe unlawful. If you have received this communication in error please notify the sender by return email, delete it from your system and destroy any copies.