[gdal-dev] Curve support in OGR

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Fri Jun 19 04:41:41 EDT 2009

right - we still use an old commercial version of Mapguide. We may move to
the newer open-source version (or Mapserver) in the future.

But this is not my main concern. The main concern is being able to work
with curves (mainly circular arcs) across the whole OSGeo tool chain,
primarily also in Desktop GIS.

Many desktop GIS build on top of OGR (e.g. the one we use: QGIS). They
won't bother with curves until their underlying base infrastructure
supports curves.

I know it is a probably a huge effort to include curve support in OGR and
won't happen tomorrow ... However, since more and more data formats and
applications now start to support curves, it would make sense that OGR
would support them as well, esp. since it is at the technical foundation
of so many other tools.

I know it should be financially supported by the users, so I wonder if we
could start a project like the WKTRaster project in Postgis [1], where the
necessary work packages for curve support are laid out, as well as
potential programmers and sponsors. People/organizations can assign
themselves as sponsors for certain parts of the whole work then.

The whole thing of course also concerns GEOS and Postgis.

Andreas

[1] http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/WKTRaster/PlanningAndFunding

--
Andreas Neumann