[gdal-dev] Quicklook creation with Python/GDAL

Chaitanya kumar CH chaitanya.ch at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 13:06:10 EDT 2009

Markus,

If I understand your problem correctly you should be able to use
GDALDataset::BuildOverviews() and/or GDALRegenerateOverviews() for this
task.
To avoid a temporary file, you can use a GDAL virtual
file<http://www.gdal.org/gdal_vrttut.html>
.
There is an example python code using these functions at
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/browser/trunk/autotest/gcore/tiff_ovr.py . You
can find the documentation for the C++ version of these functions at
http://www.gdal.org/classGDALDataset.html#2aa6f88b3bbc840a5696236af11dde15and
http://www.gdal.org/gdal_8h.html#f42fd5ddd2d160492b23d62e75e42c82 .
You may need to use the trunk version of GDAL (refer to
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/DownloadSource#Subversion) for these
functions.
I hope this can solve your problem.

Chaitanya kumar CH.