[gdal-dev] running gdal_merge for a lot of files

Pavel Iacovlev iacovlev.pavel at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 03:46:00 EDT 2009

Good day all,

I am trying to merge a large data set, the input imagery is 1TB RGB
uncompressed tifs (lots of them). Then I run gdal_merge.py on a small
data set it runs ok and with -v option I can see whats happening. But
then I run on a large dataset I don't get no verbose output (I don't
get no output at all) and it stuck on 8.9 GB image size. I can just
track that the image is getting bigger but not verbose output
whatsoever and I can tell why it stops on 8.9 GB.

My command is: gdal_merge.py -v -init 255 -of GTiff -co TILED=YES -co
COMPRESS=JPEG -co PHOTOMETRIC=YCBCR -co BIGTIFF=YES -o of.tif of/*.tif

The input images are around 160mb each so loading them 1 by 1 into
memory is not a problem.

I want to join all this imagery into 1 big tif and create overviews to
serve it via mapserver.

GDAL version: GDAL 1.6.1, released 2009/05/11

--
http://iap.md, The future is open