[gdal-dev] Future compatibility - plugins (C#)

Tomas R monshi at home.se
Tue Jun 30 12:38:13 EDT 2009

Hi again, time for a new question
First of, Q is regarding the C# environment.

Trying to update my plugin to SportTracks that makes it possible for
other plugins to the great program to make use of Gdal. Currently the
plugin uses Gdal 1.5.1 and the plan is to move to 1.6.1

There seem to not be a "soft" way to upgrade as a move to gdal 1.6.1
will break the other plugin. Are the changes between 1.5.1 and 1.6.1 so
great they require a break in compatibility?
In  the future, upgrade to Gdal 1.7 will this also not be backward
compatible? Are there anything I can do when compiling Gdal than may
simplify the transition? Say that a plugin linked to the 1.6.1 C# dlls
will also work with the 1.5.1 dlls? That way it will possible to roll
out the other plugins with support of Gdal 1.6.1 and some time later go
out with the upgrade.

Suggestions, ideas, explanations why I have this problem at all!

Yours
Tomas