[gdal-dev] gdal_merge.py stitched output image intermittent projection info loss

Dori izzybitsie at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 16:21:36 EDT 2009

Hi,
I have used gdal_merge.py to stitch geotiff images created with a 3rd party
software for a couple of years now.
These programs were moved to new hosts a while ago and from there on,
although the stitching works the output image seems to loose the projection
information when they are created at certain times of day but not at some
other times.
When the projection info is lost, the image cannot be viewed in the 3rd
party software used to create the images been stitched, making it useless.
However, all images can be displayed with ImageMagick or openEV.

Is there any command I could use to make sure the projection information is
stored in the output image at all times?

I think my intermittent problem might be cause by some memory shortage on
the new hosts at certain times of the day .  The input images are not very
big ~4 Mb each and there is 16 of them. The output images are not that huge
either:~22Mb
If this is true then, there is not much I could do to resolve my immediate
problems.
I am no expert so, I may be missing the real cause of the problem.

What makes it hard to guess what it is is the fact that there are no errors
logged as the program work all the time.

Thanks

This is the projection info for output map when cannot be viewed using 3rd
party soft.:

Size is 7479, 3033^M
Coordinate System is:^M
LOCAL_CS["unnamed",^M
    UNIT["metre",1,^M
        AUTHORITY["EPSG","9001"]]]^M
Origin = (-179.999899999999997,73.000000000000000)^M
Pixel Size = (0.048132577673166,-0.048139266469396)^M
Metadata:^M
  AREA_OR_POINT=Area^M
Image Structure Metadata:^M

This is the projection info for output image when it CAN be viewed using 3rd
party software:
Size is 2400, 1800^M
Coordinate System is:^M
GEOGCS["unnamed",^M
    DATUM["WGS_1984",^M
        SPHEROID["WGS 84",6378137,298.2572235629972,^M
            AUTHORITY["EPSG","7030"]],^M
        AUTHORITY["EPSG","6326"]],^M
    PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],^M
    UNIT[,0.0174532925199433]]^M

This is the projection info for the input images:
Coordinate System is:
GEOGCS["unnamed",
    DATUM["WGS_1984",
        SPHEROID["WGS 84",6378137,298.2572235629972,
            AUTHORITY["EPSG","7030"]],
        AUTHORITY["EPSG","6326"]],
    PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],
    UNIT[,0.0174532925199433]]