[gdal-dev] Question on image formats vs performance and quality

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sun Mar 22 00:49:54 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I would be interest in you thoughts on comparing MrSID, ECW, and Tiff
images from the perspective of image quality and performance.

The scenario is I have imagery in MrSID. I typically decompress that
into Tiled Tiff uncompressed imagery with overviews. I server it via
mapserver and it has reasonable performance.

I have not considered serving it from the MrSID files because I don't
have a license to compress the files and I would need to reproject them.
Also I'm guessing it in not a good idea to uncompress and compress them
again as it is lossy and the image degrades.

I have never worked with ECW, but I'm concerned about:
1) ECW is 8-bit data only and the source data is 24 bit RGB data
2) how does it compare performance wise to say the tiff images when
rendering?

Are there other formats that would be good to consider? What are their
characteristics?

Thanks,
   -Steve