[gdal-dev] gdal-python and py2exe

Simon Lyngby Kokkendorff silyko at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 17:22:26 EDT 2009

Hello All,

  This may seem stupid :-) I am doing an application using the gdal bindings
for python on windows. I am trying to bundle it all up to an executable
using py2exe and the NSIS-installer.
It all seems to go well, the dll's from my installation of gdal,
C:\gdalwin32-1.6\bin, get copied into the distribution and the executable
runs fine on my computer, also when I delete the gdal environment variables.
However, when I try to run the executable on another computer, where python
and gdal is not installed, I get an error when trying to import gdal in my
script (hidden inside the executable): "dll load failed" and then a message
saying that gdal was not configured correctly on the system. So what is
being configured when running the gdal for python installer exe, which has
not been run on the other computer? I have tried to glance trough the
installation files, but have not been able to figure it out, yet. Hope that
someone in here can help me!

   Best,
   Simon Kokkendorff