[gdal-dev] gdal-python and py2exe - MapTiler.org

Klokan Petr Přidal klokan at klokan.cz
Thu Mar 26 04:06:18 EDT 2009

Hi Simon and others,

I am successfully bundling GDAL 1.6 from OSGeo4W in my MapTiler
application - with py2exe, GDAL 1.6, wxPython, InnoSetup combination
under Windows.

MapTiler is a multi-platform user-friendly graphical application based
on my GDAL2Tiles utility and targeted to end-users and newbies in
open-source GIS world - it has a step by step wizard GUI which looks
like this: http://mac.softpedia.com/progScreenshots/MapTiler-Screenshot-52156.html
(somebody already published screenshots ;-)).
It runs on Windows, Mac and on Linux.
More info at: http://www.maptiler.org/.

I made a presentation about it: http://www.vimeo.com/1766572

You can get the source code from SVN at:
http://code.google.com/p/maptiler/

The software is in Alpha version now, with known bugs and limitation,
but already quite usable. I plan to commit changes I did in GDAL2Tiles
back into GDAL SVN...

Ad system variables: I am setting up GDAL_DATA and other variables in
the beginning of the python program (maptiler.py file), before loading
GDAL modules - with autodetection of the operating system and a bit of
hacking for py2exe.

Is GDAL community interested in supporting further development of
GDAL2Tiles and MapTiler during this Google Summer of Code?
Because I am still PhD candidate at Czech Technical University in
Prague I can participate as a student again...
I proposed the project (no.5.) related to GDAL2Tiles/MapTiler at:
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/SummerOfCode

Best,

Klokan

http://blog.klokan.cz/