[gdal-dev] Is it a big thing to change ECW to support 16-bit imagery?

Ivan Lucena ivan.lucena at pmldnet.com
Sat Mar 28 00:10:08 EDT 2009

Mo,

See, GDAL does not implement the code that actually reads the ECW
format. The GDAL ECW driver just make calls to a external library. That
library is provided by the company that holds the copyright for that
format [1]. So you would need to ask and negotiate with then first.

But I believe that they probably have thought about that before and
maybe that *is* a "big thing", as you said. It is not just a matter of
storing pixels values but it is matter of running a algorithm to
calculate the wavelets. Or maybe is just because that is how and why the
format was designed. I mean, for byte image.

But if they *do* decided to implement that change I believe it will be
pretty simple for anyone of the GDAL driver's developers to make the
necessary changes to adapt to it.

But like I said before, don't hold you breath waiting for that. I don't
think that there is a chance.

[1] http://www.gdal.org/frmt_ecw.html

My best regards,

Ivan