[gdal-dev] WKT Raster driver in GSoC 2009

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Sun Mar 29 15:47:08 EDT 2009

Jorge Arévalo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just send a mail about GSoC 09. This is one of the projects I'm
> interested in. What skills are required/strongly desired (apart from
> knowledge on C/C++)?

In the proposal, I specified more elements: raster graphics, basic
understanding of Well-Known-Binary-like formats, libpq, C (strong), C++
(basic).

In my opinion, it's recommended that a candidate understand/know:
- raster
- band
- pixel and how pixel type influences raster structure
- recognize BIP, BIL and BSQ layouts
- reading and parsing binary data in C/C++
- encode/decode raw binary data to/from hex in C/C++
- understand idea behind Well-Known-Text and Well-Known-Binary
- understand basics of architecture of GDAL
- understand basics of PostGIS
- how to write good unit test for GDAL driver
- how to use GDAL, PostgreSQL and PostGIS manuals and websites

> What difficult level would you assign to the project?

As I've explained, I'm unable to judge this aspect.

> Oh, you may prefer to answer my other e-mail :-)

Actually, I'd strongly encourage to discuss everything on public
forum. As this is about GDAL driver, then gdal-dev is probably
best place for discussing it.