[gdal-dev] Questions about projects of GSoC 2009

Jorge Arévalo jorge.arevalo at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 20:00:10 EDT 2009

Hello,

"Difficult" is a very subjective thing, totally agree. Sorry for the
approach of the question.

Maybe I can raise it in that way: What amount of theoretical/practical
knowledge do I need to start working on the project? For example, the first
project (PNG driver) suggests me the following initial knowledges (most of
them are specified in the web http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/SummerOfCode):
- PNG format (of course)
- C / C++ fluently
- Raster, bands
- Basic GDAL architecture
- NeuQuant algorithm
- Kohonen Neural Networks
- pngnq
- Several tools that optimize PNG

The project about WKT raster (the list that you provided me on another
mail):
- raster
- band
- pixel and how pixel type influences raster structure
- recognize BIP, BIL and BSQ layouts
- reading and parsing binary data in C/C++
- encode/decode raw binary data to/from hex in C/C++
- understand idea behind Well-Known-Text and Well-Known-Binary
- understand basics of architecture of GDAL
- understand basics of PostGIS
- how to write good unit test for GDAL driver
- how to use GDAL, PostgreSQL and PostGIS manuals and websites

All concepts sound familiar (because I've studied or worked with them), but
I think that I need some previous time to go deeper. I have to include this
in my schedule. I'll finish it tomorrow, and we'll be able to go further on
this issue, if you want :-)

Thanks for your response

Best regards
Jorge