[gdal-dev] Questions about projects of GSoC 2009

Jorge Arévalo jorge.arevalo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 16:19:35 EDT 2009

Hello,

Thanks for the link Mateusz.

OK, I need your opinion. I've been working during 1 year (still working) in
a project that uses gdal library (developing some code), and Postgis, to
transform vectorial data (MIF files) on PNG tiles to show over google maps.

I use Postgis to perform a previous merge of some vectorial data. Then, I
transform the vectorial data in raster files, and "burn" the polygons over
them using given colors. Finally, I transform these raster files in PNG
tiles with gdal2tiles.

The entire process could be improved by several ways:

- I would like to have an enhaced PNG driver, to reduce the size of the
tiles. For this reason, I had a theoretical approach to NeuQuant algorithm
and I used pngnq. I discovered the relation between this algorithm and
Kohonen Neural Networks, that I studied during my degree, and I liked a lot.
Basically, for these reasons I'm interested in the project about PNG Driver

- On one hand, at first I was using raster data, instead of vector data.
When the need of merging data arose, I had to change the point and use
vector data + Postgis. On the other hand, I would like to integrate my layer
to another ones in a bigger context, and I think that the raster support on
Postgis will be a really useful thing. For these reasons, I'm interested in
the project about WKT Raster.

- Before using gdal2tiles, I made my own "map tiler", creating the tiles
needed "on-the-fly". As thought, it didn't work. I tried to use my own "tile
cache system". One problem was the low rate of cache hints. Then, I
discovered the WMS standard, and recently, the coming WMTS standard, even
better. For this reason, I'm interested in the project about WMTS
implementation.

Now, this is my "minimum schedule". This is, the minimum amount of time that
I can use this summer. With high probability, I will be able to use more
time, but I prefer to put myself in the worst situation:

May 23 - June 30: 22h per week (total 118h)
July 1 - July 31: 45h per week (total 207h)
August 1 - August 10: 22h per week (total 26h)

Finally, I have experience with C, C++, Java and Python languages. My
favourite one is C. I made the most of my practice work during degree in C.

Do you think, with this provisional schedule in mind, that I can apply for
one of the projects? If not, would it be possible to find a mentor for one
of them? Without paying and GSoC deadlines, of course.

Many thanks in advance, anyway

Best regards
Jorge