[gdal-dev] GDAL Python Development: Area Selection

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Wed May 27 15:35:43 EDT 2009

Pooven,

You're doing things the right way. GDAL doesn't provide any high-level
function to extract a region from a bounding box expressed in projected
coordinates. You have to compute the pixel coordinates of the corner of the
bounding box yourself by using the inverse of the geotransform matrix
returned by the GetGeoTransform() method of the dataset.

gt = ds.GetGeoTransform()
x_pixel = (x_projected - gt[0]) / gt[1]
y_pixel = (y_projected - gt[3]) / gt[5]

(provided that your raster doesn't has any rotation or shearing, that is to
say that gt[2] = gt[4] = 0)

Best regards,
Even