[gdal-dev] Re: CUDA PyCUDA and GDAL

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Thu Nov 19 03:08:38 EST 2009

Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam <at> pobox.com> writes:

> Shaun Kolomeitz wrote:

> > could push beyond 1GB/s. Currently to process (mosaic) an 80GB image it
> > takes several days to complete. This is also on 32bit hardware, and I
>
> Shaun,
>
> I suspect that there is a gross issue with how the warping is being done,
> and that it could be sped up substantially. On my two year old consumer
> grade desktop I'm able to warp/reproject around 30GB/hour with gdalwarp.

My numbers for warping single images or small mosaics with cubic spline option
show about 12 GB/hour. However, I have tried sometimes to warp tens of gigabytes
of imagery through .vrt file to a BigTIFF and that process progressed very very
slow. I need to admit that I used ER Mapper and ERDAS Imagine and never bothered
to investigate further what was going wrong when building mosaic with gdal. I
have lot of imagery easily available and I volunteer for testing is somebody has
suggestions for better gdalwarp parameters or has new program versions to try.

-Jukka Rahkonen-