[gdal-dev] Reading compressed GZIP files

Niles, Rick fniles at mitre.org
Thu Nov 19 11:58:09 EST 2009

I'm sure this subject has come up before, but these terrain files get quite large and in some cases it would be nice to be able to  compress them and read them on the fly, such as, gzipped files.  Is there a standard accepted method to uncompress and read files on the fly.   I guess something like a GDALOpen_z () function.

As a side note, I'm sure this has come up before, but I couldn't find a search engine to for the entire e-mail archives.  Am I just missing it?

Thanks,
Rick Niles.