[gdal-dev] build gdal 1.6.2 with nmake and vc9

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 07:30:48 EST 2009

I'm trying to compile/build gdal fo windows, with minimal external libraries
set in nmake.opt (just expat and postgresql).
As explained by the docs, the deafult target is Debug, in fact it tries to
link libpqd.dll for postgres, which I suppose is the debug version.
Anyway I'm not sure how to set the Release target...
In the default nmake.opt there are the following otflags:

# Compilation flags
!IFNDEF OPTFLAGS
!IF $(MSVC_VER) >= 1400
!IFNDEF DEBUG
OPTFLAGS= /nologo /MD /EHsc /Ox /W3 /D_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE
/D_CRT_NONSTDC_NO_DEPRECATE /DNDEBUG
!ELSE
OPTFLAGS= /nologo /MD /EHsc /Zi /W4 /D_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE
/D_CRT_NONSTDC_NO_DEPRECATE /Fd$(GDAL_ROOT)\gdal$(VERSION)
.pdb
!ENDIF
!ELSE
!IFNDEF DEBUG
OPTFLAGS=    /nologo /MD /EHsc /GR /Ox /W3 /DNDEBUG
!ELSE
#OPTFLAGS=    /nologo /MD /GX /Ox
#OPTFLAGS=    /nologo /MD /EHsc /GR /Zi /W4
/Fd$(GDAL_ROOT)\gdal$(VERSION).pdb
!ENDIF
!ENDIF  #MSVC_VER
!ENDIF  # OPTFLAGS

In my case, using the vc9 (MSVC_VER=1500), the following flags are set:

OPTFLAGS= /nologo /MD /EHsc /Ox /W3 /D_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE
/D_CRT_NONSTDC_NO_DEPRECATE /DNDEBUG

I'm not experiences with Windows build, so ?m not sure about the meaning of
these flags, and in particular /DNDEBUG.
Is the Debug target set here? Otherwise, where is it set as default?
A bit confused....

thanks for any explanation,
giovanni