[gdal-dev] Re: FW: Annotations from S-57 Files

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Oct 6 22:41:22 EDT 2009

Michael Childs wrote:
  > I am using the S57Reader class to read in S-57 data files and a user has
> reported that while applications like SeeMyEnc show annotation points
> with text, I cannot seem to find any returned features that include
> those annotations. There is a sample data file at
> http://www.globalmapper.com/Incoming/1I5LQQJ4.zip which has an
> annotation that is not coming in as a point feature (see screenshot at
> http://www.globalmapper.com/Incoming/SeeMyENC_DuckLake.jpg).

Mike,

I have inspected the file, and if I run ogrinfo on it with debug I see:

  S57: Unable to find definition for OBJL=22001
  S57: Unable to find definition for OBJL=22010

It appears it has two S-57 object classes that don't appear in the
specification (or at least the older specification I worked from).

I see there is a layer called "Generic" which seems to have these objects
but without extended object attributes like the text.  I assume these include
your annotation objects.

I would suggest you dig into the S-57/ENC specifications and look for updated
object catalogs and use them to extend gdal/data/s57objectclasses.csv to
include these new classes.  If you can feed these back into GDAL as a ticket
and patch that would be fantastic.