[Gdal-dev] osgeo.osr: WGS84 to UTM/UPS coordinate conversion - howtodo?

Marco Nicoletti nicoletti at consorzio-innova.it
Mon Oct 12 04:16:24 EDT 2009

Dear all,

I got some problems in using the osgeo.osr library to convert from WGS84
(lat,lon) coordinates to UTM/UPS carthographic projection.

>From UTM (zone=33, for example) to WGS84 it seems easy:
>> wgs84 = osr.SpatialReference()
>> wgs84.SetWellKnownCS('WSG84')
>> utm = osr.SpatialReference()
>> utm.SetUTM(33)
>> conv_wgs2utm = osr.CoordinateConversion(wgs84, utm)
>>conv_wgs2utm.TransformPoint(lon, lat)

It seems to work; now I miss:
1) from UPS to WGS84
2) from WGS84 to UTM/UPS (reusing the code I wrote, I could create a
convertitor in the
other direction - conv_utm2wgs =  osr.CoordinateConversion(utm, wgs84); but
I need to specify the
UTM zone before - actually I should not have the UTM zone before converting!
)

Do you have some example code I can use???

Thanks so much!

Marco Nicoletti