[gdal-dev] gdal.h: No such file or directory

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Sun Oct 18 10:29:49 EDT 2009

Peter J Halls wrote:
> Mateusz,
>
> the extract from the standard does not say there is no difference: it
>  says that this is implementation dependent - that implementors are
> free to differentiate if they wish and, indeed, that the #include " "
> form is optional.

Peter,

There is no difference in the effect and the "implementation defined
part" means:
- quoted version to first look for a header in current directory of
source file that contains the #include "" directive and if fails,
in most cases, tries to search in compiler known paths.
- <> version triggers searching to start in so called standard paths
known by compiler, paths specified with -I option or INCLUDE environment
variable and eventually try current directory of a source file
containing #include directive.

Meaning, the actual difference is only in order in which locations are
tried.

The standard gives some room of customisation to allow C++
implementations to provide headers in special way - they may not even
exist as regular files in file system, then <> notation has special meaning.