[gdal-dev] GDAL scripting with Python 2.5 (on windows)

Aleksey Naumov anaumov at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 13:06:08 EDT 2009

Ivan,

Thank you, this works. I must have overlooked the gdal-python bindings
package in the Advanced settings on my last try.

Comparing to FWTools, I get a sense that the OSGeo4W GDAL/Python bundle is
pretty complete. At least it has all the usual GDAL utility programs and
python scripts.

One thing I am currently missing in OSGeo4W GDAL is support for ECW and
MrSID -- is it available? I've installed the gdal-ecw and gdal-mrsid
packages, but it seems I am missing the DLLs. E.g. when I try "gdalinfo
--formats" I get complaints:
ERROR 1: Can't load requested DLL:
C:\OSGeo4W\apps\gdal-16\bin\gdalplugins\gdal_ECW_JP2ECW.dll
126: The specified module could not be found.

ERROR 1: Can't load requested DLL:
C:\OSGeo4W\apps\gdal-16\bin\gdalplugins\gdal_MrSID.dll
126: The specified module could not be found.

Have tried this with both gdal-* and gdal16-* packages. And remembered to
run gdal16.bat to activate the GDAL 1.6 environment. However, can't get ECW
and MrSID support.

I suspect this is due to licensing issues. Do I need to install support for
these formats separately?

Thank you,

Aleksey