[gdal-dev] Core dump: old gdal, bug in gdal, bug in data?

Russell McOrmond russell at flora.ca
Fri Oct 23 16:20:13 EDT 2009

Even Rouault wrote:
> Selon Russell McOrmond <russell at flora.ca>:
>
> I tried ogr2ogr -f KML with the 2008 data and it works for me.

Thank you!

> fixed since then in GDAL, but I'm not sure if they patched their packages with
> the fix (from a quick review, no they didn't).

  I've since found these related bugs.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdal/+bug/271670  I'm not sure
who is in charge of the Ubuntu binaries, but it seems that Gdal 1.6.2-1
is currently in debian unstable.

  I'll take a look at compiling the latest gdal for this desktop and see
how that works.

> Anyway, if you want to use those shapefiles in mapserver, you don't care about
> OGR as mapserver directly reads shapefiles by itself.

  My hope was to import the shapefiles into PostGIS.  I only referenced
the KML file as a standalone file which I can verify with Google Earth
whether it converted correctly or not.   I don't have a lot of GIS tools
on my desktop at the moment.

 Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
 rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
 http://www.digital-copyright.ca/petition/ict/

  manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
  portable media player from my cold dead hands!"