[gdal-dev] Can gdal_poligonize.py be used on float data?

Alan Steel alan.steel at ext.jrc.ec.europa.eu
Wed Oct 28 12:10:27 EDT 2009

Hello All,

I made a shapefile from a raster layer using gdal_polygonize.py. My
input values are float, but my first attempt of gdal_poligonize.py has
truncated these to integer values.

Ok, so I read the description of the utility on
http://www.gdal.org/gdal_polygonize.html, which says:

"The utility is based on the GDALPolygonize() function.
 > Note that currently the source pixel band values are read into a
signed 32bit integer buffer (Int32), so floating point or complex bands
will be implicitly truncated before processing..."

Anybody got a version that handles float data?
Also, the link to the source code doesn't work at
http://www.gdal.org/gdal__alg_8h.html#3f522a9035d3512b5d414fb4752671b1

Cheers,

Alan Steel