[gdal-dev] OGR about s_57

s duclos sylvain_duclos at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 2 09:18:52 EDT 2009

Hi Frank,

> I know lots of people have made various levels of effort
> in
> following the S52 specification based on OGR as a feature
> reader.  Perhaps some of them will speak up and
> volunteer
> additional information.

Here's info I send to Randy. It's border line related to OGR/S57 but
googler might find this useful:

Old IHO's S-52 Manual at 'the Wayback Machine': http://web.archive.org/web/20030323010814/http://www.iho.shom.fr/general/ecdis/pslb03_2.pdf

This manual explain how to link OGR/S-57 to S-52 for rendering.
Note that the audience is ECDIS manufacturer. Note also that is old stuff.
Finally note that this whole S-57/S-52 is about to be replace by
S-100/S-101, an extended and XML'ised version aligned on 0GC/ISO.

If all you want is color then you can find decent RGB for recent S-52
color palette by Googling.

XML'ing S-57/S-52 is just an other way to serialize ENC data.
There is provision in S-100/S-101 to embed GeoTIFF (for bathymetric stuff)
also. So, to GDAL/OGR this new stuff is not that alien.

rgds,

Sylvain.