[gdal-dev] Re: Thanks: Missing msvcr80.dll ?

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 17:26:19 EDT 2009

2009/9/6 Martin Hvidberg <Martin at hvidberg.net>

>     I got my GDAL from gdal.org <http://gdal.org> (gdalwin32exe160.zip)
>>
>>    It works on my XP nootebook but not on our 'Window Server 2003'
>>

>> Hmmm... Just by looking into this package (
>> http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/win32/1.6/gdalwin32exe160.zip) I don't see
>> any dependencies to msvcr80.dll. Looks like most of the dlls have been build
>> with MSVC2003 (msvcrt71) and geos have been build with MSVC2008 (msvcr90)
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Tamas
>>

> I wouldn't know... But every time I run a Python script that has the line
> 'import gdal' or more exactly, the following block.
>
> ------8<--------------
> try:
>        from osgeo import gdal
>        from osgeo.gdalconst import *
>        gdal.TermProgress = gdal.TermProgress_nocb
> except ImportError:
>        import gdal
>        from gdalconst import *
> ------8<--------------
>
> it generates a popup window that states:
>
> "Python.exe - Unable To Locate Component
> This application has failed to start because MSVCR80.dll was not found.
> Re-installing the application may fix this problem."
>
> The exact same python script, runs like a dream, from the same directory ,
> when I execute it from the FWtools.
>
> This tells me that all the needed files are on the machine, but someting is
> not linked together or referenced correct from the ordinary command line.

Martin,

The package you've mentioned above doesn't contain python bindings (
http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/win32/1.6/gdalwin32exe160.zip) so I wonder
how it would ever work in a particular machine. If you install FWTools and
you run the application from the FWTools command prompt you pick up the
related files from the FWTools installation not from the gdalwin32 package.
I admit I'm a bit lost what's the issue here as you mention your FWTools
package is working correctly. In any case, I would not recommend you to use
this one of gdalwin32, since it looks pretty old (2008-12-30) and not well
maintained.

Best regards,

Tamas