[gdal-dev] Spatialite oddness

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Tue Sep 15 16:43:41 EDT 2009

Hi,

I made some trials with Spatialite and faced some problems.
My environment:
Windows Vista Business
Spatialite-GUI v.1.2.1 with Spatialite 2.3.1 inside
GDAL 1.7.0dev, FWTools 2.4.2, released 2009/06/24

Oddness is that ogr does not recognise Spatialite database that is
created with Spatialite-GUI. Or it does, initially after the
database is created but still without data:
C:\data\Vmap0>ogrinfo bordersdb.sqlite
INFO: Open of `bordersdb.sqlite'
      using driver `SQLite' successful.

However, once I have inported a shapefile into this database
with Spatialite-GUI Load shapefile tool it is no more recognised:
C:\data\Vmap0>ogrinfo bordersdb.sqlite
ERROR 1: Unable to fetch list of tables: unsupported file format
ERROR 1: Unable to fetch list of tables: unsupported file format
FAILURE:
Unable to open datasource `bordersdb.sqlite' with the following drivers.

QGis version 1.3.0 build 11628 open this same Spatialite db without
problems.

I tried also to create a Spatialite database with ogr2ogr from the same
shapefile as:
C:\data\Vmap0>ogr2ogr -f SQLite sqlite4.sqlite borders.shp
 -dsco spatialite=yes

This database is opened by all three: ogr, Spatialite-GUI and QGis.

Is the Spatialite driver that comes with FWtools 2.4.2 outdated
or what is going on?

By the way, there is quite a difference in file sizes if the same
shapefile is imported either by Spatialite-GUI or ogr2ogr:

15.09.2009  20:08           642 048 Spatialite-GUI_borders.sqlite
15.09.2009  20:15            55 296 FWTools_borders.sqlite

-Jukka Rahkonen-