[gdal-dev] Reading/Converting .GDB files ?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Sep 18 09:40:36 EDT 2009

Felix Schalck wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was looking for high quality river data to complete my topographic
> map, when somebody at the grass mailing list pointed me towards this
> site:
>
> http://desert.jrc.ec.europa.eu/action/php/index.php?action=view&id=23
>
> The data is said to be of "ArcGis geodatabase" format. I downloaded
> the files and it definitely looks like sort of a
> database, with each entry split among 4 differents files:
>
> <entry>.freelist
> <entry>.gdbindexes
> <entry>.gdbtable
> <entry>.gdbtablx.
> Plus one "gdb" file in the root directory of the db.
>
> Unfortunately, ogrinfo doesn't seem to recognise any of the different
> files (but maybe I don't have the right driver compiled into (although
> PGEO is shown supported by ogrinfo -f). Has anyone here a clue on how
> to open this db, and convert it to something I could work with (like
> shapefile, for an instance) ? I got no answer so far from the grass
> mailing list, nor from the author of the CCM data.

Felix,

I would guess this is the "new" File Geodatabase which is not supported
by any non-ESRI product yet as far as I know.  There is reason to hope
for some sort of SDK that could be integrated into GDAL someday but for
now you would need to convert this to something more widely accessable
using ArcGIS.

You might try and prevail on the data provider to convert it to a
*personal geodatabase* which is more widely supported (on windows).