[gdal-dev] Problem converting .gml to shapefile

Chaitanya kumar CH chaitanya.ch at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 06:41:12 EDT 2009

Adrian,

I see the complete map, one similar to the wikipedia version.
I did this with the latest daily snapshot of gdal with the command:
  ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" limits limits.gml -nlt multipolygon

Please provide the GDAL version you used and see if you can open the
shapefile in a different application.

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 3:30 PM, Adrián Ribao Martínez <aribao at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Martes, 22 de Septiembre de 2009 11:42:44 usted escribió:
> > Adrian,
> >
> > The GML file has only one geometry per feature, as far as I looked. I was
> > able to convert the gml file to shapefile format. It showed boundaries of
> > different places in Spain including some islands.
>
> Are you seeing this map? http://imgur.com/HDpRp
>
> This is wrong, the map is not complete, it should be like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Spain_met.png
>
> Regards,
>
> Adrian
>
> > I did not use the -append option.
> >
> > On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 11:08 PM, Adrián Ribao Martínez <aribao at gmail.com>wrote:
> >
> > > Hello everybody,
> > >
> > > I have a problem converting a gml file into .shp. I'm using this command:
> > >
> > > ogr2ogr -append -f "ESRI Shapefile" limits limits.gml  -nlt multipolygon
> > >

> > > but it's not working, it seems that only one geometry per feature is
> > > converted. What am I doing wrong?
> > >

> > > You can have a look at the gml file here:
> > > http://groups.google.com/group/geodjango/web/limits.gml.tar.gz
> > >
> > > Thank you very much, I've spent all day with this without success.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Adrian

Chaitanya kumar CH.