[gdal-dev] How to use OGRField and what does its contents mean?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Sep 24 11:38:05 EDT 2009

Chaitanya kumar CH wrote:
> Randy,
>
> Perhaps the info you are looking for can be found under OGRFieldDefn
> instead of OGRField at http://www.gdal.org/ogr/hierarchy.html

Randy,

I would add there is a general discussion of the OGR data model at:

   http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr_arch.html

And an introduction to writing applications on the API at:

   http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr_apitut.html

Normally you would not interact with OGRField directly, instead
using the OGRFeature methods like GetFieldAsString() or
GetFieldAsInteger() to fetch the values.  As Chaitanya mentions,
the OGRFeatureDefn (fetched from the OGRLayer using GetDefnRef())
has info on what the fields names and types are.

In the case of S-57, the S-57 driver page also has some
useful background:

   http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_s57.html