[gdal-dev] vrt performance with 1000's of tiles?

John C. Tull jctull at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 15:48:01 EDT 2010

I would be interested in your success or failure. I have a directory of 500 usgs drg map images, and I cannot get them to tile successfully with gdalbuildvrt. I end up with a black image when I load it in visualization software. I tried to find a discussion I had on the gdal irc channel some time ago about this issue in an attempt to troubleshoot and resolve it, but it appears to not have been logged. In short, I was unable to track it to a specific cause nor find a solution. All files are the same projection, bands, etc. The directory of images occupies about 2.5 GB of disk space. There are also gaps in the region being covered, but none of this seems like it should lead to a failure.

John