[gdal-dev] Re: GDAL trunk compilation broken by r19335 / minizip / libkml

Francesco P. Lovergine frankie at debian.org
Thu Apr 8 04:25:17 EDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 09:36:31PM +0200, Even Rouault wrote:
> For the long term solution, I'm not sure what the best option is. In the past,
> I had 'imported' the unzip part of minizip in GDAL port subdirectory to add
> support for a /vsizip virtual file system. To avoid issues for applications
> that would link both GDAL and minizip (see (1)), I had renamed the symbols of
> the imported files with cpl_ prefix. I choosed this because as far as I
> remember, minizip didn't come as a nicely & standard packaged library (it was
> some tool/demonstration code living in the contrib directory from the 'zip'
> project) and so it didn't seem practical to add support for its detection
> in ./configure (see (2)). Perhaps this has changed now and minizip is a more
> standard library dependency. A bit of googling shows
> http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.bugs.dist/browse_thread/thread/c82c7d7ead3ec189?tvc=2
> which reveals that the issue still seems up-to-date. Fedora has apparently
> minizip packaged as a library, but Debian not.
>
> The issue with minizip will also arise with the new KML driver that Brian Case
> is developping that uses libkml, and minizip is a dependency of libkml. I'm
> not sure how libkml is supposed to be packaged : are minizip symbols
> statically linked in libkml (if it is the case, are the minizip symbols
> exported in the windows/linux builds ?) or is minizip a dependency as a
> shared library ?
>
> Actually, another bit of googling shows that Debian has packaged libkml
> (http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/libkml0) and that a libminizip.so is part
> of the package. But the -dev package doesn't seem to include the headers of
> minizip, so it is probably only seen as an internal dependency.
>
> The situation is quite confusing, isn't it ? Any thought anyone on the best
> approach to use minizip ?

Currently minizip is provided in libkml as a shlib on Debian, but it is not
distributed with zlib. That could change in the future, but currently
there's not a proper support upstream (e.g. no SONAME etc.). The libkml
way is a bit peculiar because google folks have introduced a shared lib
on their own, which is not something provided by Gilles.

As a general advice, Debian policy discourage embedding of third parties libraries,
because security support becomes a nightmare and we have currently
no way of tracking embedded libraries in the whole archive.

My own opinion is that GDAL should provide both a inner copy and/or a way
of linking an external library. Using a gdal-specific namespace is a
solution for name collisions, but does not solve the security concerns.

> Best regards,
>
> Even
>
> (1) : This can be a problem. For example some applications use GDAL built with
> its internal libtiff (libtiff 4.x based) and also link with the system
> libtiff (in most cases still libtiff 3.x), directly or indirectly (for
> example GTK+-2.0 links with libtiff). So a guy linking its app with GDAL and
> GTK can end up pulling 2 libtiff versions... Because of the ABI changes
> between libtiff 3.x and 4.x, this is known to cause crashes on Linux in some
> circumstances. We probably want to avoid such situation with minizip in case
> various software packages depend on incompatible minizip versions (although
> note (2) shows that they've managed to avoid ABI clashes, so this is just a
> theoretical problem for now)

We (as Debian) could move to use versioned symbols, which
could definitively solve those kind of problems. But that is a GNU ld
specific implementation. Other libraries already adopted the same trick.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine