[gdal-dev] Re: Raster Strategies Examples

Edi.Karadumi edikaradumi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 11:59:08 EDT 2010

Edi,

its not like that, you provide shp2img a map file, bounding box, height
and width of output file, and it produces a image made of all the tiles
that land in that bounding box

brian

On Wed, 2010-08-04 at 16:09 +0200, Edi KARADUMI wrote:
> oh yeah. thnx
> But do you know how many tiles ill have to merge together? for example
> ill have to merge the tiles 2 by 2.
> its the same thing as writing 3000 times the command
>
> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 4:04 PM, brian <rush at winkey.org> wrote:
>         Edi,
>
>         Personaly I beleve gdalwarp is the wrong tool for the job, you
>         already
>         have it all set up for mapserver so just use shp2img.
>

>         On Mon, 2010-08-02 at 17:14 +0200, Edi KARADUMI wrote:
>         > as you may know, i have very slow performance when i zoom
>         out and im
>         > stucked here. As i have read i should make a copy of the
>         tiles with
>         > reduced resolution. Merge the tiles together and use min/max
>         scale to
>         > show different layers in different scales. the min/max
>         scales i zoom
>         > in/out are 100/1200000. Now my questions are
>         >
>         > - How can i calculate the scale where i should create
>         another layer of
>         > the tiles, or i shoud see it with some tests?
>         >
>         > - how much should be the resolution of the new layer?
>         >
>         > - is there any tools or program to merge the tiles? merging
>         6000 tiles
>         > with the gdalwarp by writing the command by myself is
>         frustrating
>         >
>         > - how many tiles should i merge together to create the new
>         layer? (how
>         > many tiles should have the new layer) i know that in each
>         zoomscale
>         > its better to appear only one tile but i dont know how to
>         calculate
>         > it
>         >
>         > - the tiles that i should merge are the originals or those
>         with
>         > internal tiling and overviews?

yep but i need to do a new copy of all my tiles to display it with min/max
scale when i zoom out cuz the number of tiles to read is very large and
takes a lot of time to render. so in bigger scales i should make another
copy with reduced resolution and less tiles. So i need to merge them. And im
still working on it cuz i dont know how many tiles should merge to create a
bigger one that will be displayed at bigger scales (still confused how to
find this scale for example 1:5000 or 1:100000 i dont know it)

Regards
Edi Karadumi