[gdal-dev] Motion: Adopt RFC 29: OGR Set Ignored Fields

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 11:08:39 EDT 2010

2010/8/7 Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com>

> ogr2ogr has a -select switch to identify desired fields
> to be copied to the output.  I imagine ogr2ogr could
> benefit from ignoring all the undesired attributes using
> this new api.

Frank,

There are some other tools like ogrinfo, gdal_grid also support the sql
option. I mean it would be desirable to provide unique implementation for
each.

> Currently there is no logic in the OGR SQL engine to
> ignore fields not needed in the result but I can see that
> adding this would be desirable.  It would require some
> work to walk all the expression trees (for the WHERE
> and each of the column expressions) to identify the
> fields that are used in the primary and joined tables.  I
> would potentially be willing to implement this optimization.

In this case I would support to postpone the implementation in ogr2ogr to
avoid parallel approaches to coexist in ogr2ogr and the common code.

Best regards,

Tamas