[gdal-dev] GDAL equivalent of ArcGIS's focal statistics raster interpolation?

m k ytrapaet at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 10 18:46:14 EDT 2010

Much of my GIS vocabulary comes from ArcGIS. ArcGIS has a Spatial Analyst Tool called Focal Statistics. It basically "blurs" the raster by redefining cells based on a search area (either circle or square), and the values that occur in these surroundings (you can also control how big the area is with a parameter). I've found this process useful to prepare a raster for hillshading.
I am wondering if there is an equivalent tool in the GDAL library?
Thank you
-m