Re: [gdal-dev] ArcGIS 10

Ivan Lucena ivan.lucena at pmldnet.com
Thu Aug 12 09:10:22 EDT 2010

Hannes,

I just did it!

Ingredients:

- ArcGIS 10
- Visual Studio.NET 2003
- SWIG (swigwin-1.3.31) (or newer, maybe)
- GDAL source code (doesn't need to be the same version that Arc uses)

How to prepare:

- Build GDAL (see gdal.org)
- Set the variables SWIG and PYDIR on nmake.opt
- Set the path for the ArcGIS Python folder:

..\gdal> set PATH=E:\Python26\ArcGIS10.0;%PATH%

- Set the path for SWIG (obviously):

..\gdal> set PATH=<your swig folder>;%PATH%

- Build the GDAL Python wrapper:

..\gdal\swig> nmake -f makefile.vc python

- Generate the GDAL Python installer:

..\gdal\swig> cd python
..\gdal\swig\python> python setup.py bdist_wininst

- Run the installer:

..\gdal\swig\python> cd dist
..\gdal\swig\python\dist> GDAL-1.7.0.win32-py2.6.exe

- Open ArcMap again and click on the "Python window" icon
or select "Geoprocessing/python" from the ArcMap menu

- To launch GDAL just type the usual:

>>> from osgeo import GDAL
>>> from osgeo import OGR

- VOILA

Alternative:

if you just download and run the GDAL-Python installer it probably is not going to find the ArcGIS's Python installation on the register. So you can ask someone to prepare one for you like I did.

Attention:

Again, you are going to be running two different versions of GDAL in ArcMap's Python command line!

Regards,

Ivan