[gdal-dev] Working with USGS NED data

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Aug 18 21:38:01 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I plan to download the USGS NED 1/3 arcsec dataset and I noticed it is
available in 2 formats: ArcGrid and GridFloat

Is one easier, faster, smaller, etc to work with than the other?

My goal is to augment the Tiger road network with Z elevation data.

I'm wondering if there is a tool that already does this, like read a
shapefile, augment with elevation and write a new shapefile. Or if I
would need to write a tools that does that. Can postgis be used to do this?

Given a lat,lon, what is the fastest way to get the elevation?

Thank you for any input you can provide.

-Steve