[gdal-dev] ERROR 1: LZWDecode:Wrong length of decoded string: data probably corrupted

Hermann Peifer peifer at gmx.eu
Mon Dec 6 07:59:52 EST 2010

On 06/12/2010 13:15, Even Rouault wrote:
> Selon Hermann Peifer<peifer at gmx.eu>:
>> Even,
>>
>> Thanks for the quick feedback.
>>
>> Just to clarify: last week, I compiled revision 21190 from
>> http://svn.osgeo.org/gdal/trunk/gdal, configured
>> --with-libtiff=internal.
> Hum OK so there's definitely a bug somewhere. Would be worth opening a ticket if
> you had a way of reproducing those errors. Ideally with a smaller shapefile.
>
> Would be interesting to see if it works better with another compression scheme,
> let's say DEFLATE.

Thanks for the hint with DEFLATE. And yes, I am working on a 64 bit
Debian/Linux system.

As far as I can see: the LZW error only occurred while processing this
one file, which also happens to be the biggest out of 231 shapefiles
that I am handling in my current task. So it might be difficult to
reproduce the error with a smaller file.

1 additional question, as I do not really understand the inner workings
of gdal_rasterize:

Does it help at all what I did when trying to reduce the memory demand:
to loop through the geometries by some CODE value? Does gdal_rasterize
always load *all* the geometries into memory, independent of the -where
filter ?

Hermann