[gdal-dev] Re: patch for ISIS2 driver

Trent M Hare thare at usgs.gov
Mon Dec 6 14:50:08 EST 2010

Ludovic,
        This is excellent news and again any improvement to the original
code is welcome. I actually am in the process of how to map the projection
information for a potential ISIS3 writer. I also have a Python PDS label
creation routine that I was thinking about pushing into library properly
(instead of just using a Python script). It would also make sense to merge
the PDS and ISIS2 code set however there are subtitle differences in both
formats that we must be careful of.

Before we can incorporate your changes into GDAL, I would like to see
projection export support implemented also. The main reason for these
readers was to help propagate the projection, so I would want to see this
working both directions. I will see where it stands and if I can help. I'm
not sure how to implement "create_copy" so we might need help from the
GDAL team.

Let me check out your patch and test some images. If all looks good we ask
the GDAL team to also help incorporate your patch. Also there is another
PDS fix that needs to be incorporated. Maybe you might have time to see if
it would be a quick fix since you have been working wit the code recently
(please see issue below). If you don't have time please let me know. I am
also curious how you managed to support ISIS2 side planes? This capability
was removed from ISIS3 due to lack of use and complexity.

Thanks again for your willingness to share your improvements. Just out of
curiosity - what facility are you working with?

I will be in touch shortly.

Regards,
Trent

----------
Comments
i have a patch for gdal 1.7.3 to improve isis2 driver.
* writing functionality for QUBE object  - again I would like to see an
attempt at supporting projections also - I will help.
* grab null value   - What does this mean as support for a single NULL
value was there? Does this address the fact that all ISIS2, PDS, and ISIS3
can support multiple NULL values?
* improve the type reading - great
* can read qube with back plane, side plane and bottom plane - great again
sI will need to see how you supported side/bottom planes. Do you make a
new file?
* can read a file with label detached or attached. - I thought this was
already implemented? Maybe there were some fixes though.

----------

New PDS bug which I could use help with -- I have recently seen a new
label from the LOLA team that allows one label to point to two different
image types. This breaks the simple GDAL parser.

In these LOLA labels there is a new section which wraps the file
description.
OBJECT                    = UNCOMPRESSED_FILE
END_OBJECT                = UNCOMPRESSED_FILE
from: http://imbrium.mit.edu/DATA/LOLA_GDR/CYLINDRICAL/IMG/LDEC_16.LBL

and then for a compressed file. I know the PDS reader doesn't support JP2s
but it would be nice (or at least report an appropriate warning):
OBJECT                    = COMPRESSED_FILE
  FILE_NAME                 = "LDEC_16.JP2"
  RECORD_TYPE             = UNDEFINED
  FILE_RECORDS            = UNK
  ENCODING_TYPE           = "JP2"
  INTERCHANGE_FORMAT      = BINARY
  UNCOMPRESSED_FILE_NAME  = "LDEC_16.IMG"
  REQUIRED_STORAGE_BYTES  = "14831085"
  ^DESCRIPTION            = "JP2INFO.TXT"
END_OBJECT                = COMPRESSED_FILE
http://imbrium.mit.edu/DATA/LOLA_GDR/CYLINDRICAL/JP2/LDEC_16_JP2.LBL

Unfortunately I have seen these two sections in the same label! I'm not
sure how to handle that. I guess just pick up the first one that works.
And again, it will only be the "UNCOMPRESSED_FILE" section for now.