[gdal-dev] image-io extension

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Thu Dec 9 14:25:27 EST 2010

Hi Viji,

I maintain the GDAL Java bindings, but the image-io GDAL plugin is another
project whose maintener is Daniele I think. He'll correct me if I'm wrong, but
I saw his name on http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTOOLS/ImageIO-EXT+GDAL
;-) . I've CC'ed him so he has a chance to comment and explain the rational of
the patch.

I wasn't aware of this patch. I've skimmed through it quickly, and it seems
that it only replaces old-fashionned data structures like Vector to use more
trendish ArrayList + Java 1.5 generics. Well, this is certainly not a bad idea
(something to consider for GDAL 2.0 ?), but I fail to see why it was
*necessary* . I'm not particularly keen on applying this patch in GDAL
mainline as it changes the API of the Java bindings, thus breaking working
code of other users. I fail to see why ImageIO-EXT cannot use the existing
API, even if it is perhaps not as convenient as it could be if it was using
more modern Java API.

Best regards,

Even