[gdal-dev] image-io extension

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Fri Dec 10 18:41:48 EST 2010

Le vendredi 10 décembre 2010 15:22:25, Ivan Lucena a écrit :
> Ciao Simone, Salut Even,
>
> Let's see this one here for example:
> >         Method names begin with Capital letters.  The Java standard is
> >         that methods always begin with lowercase letters; classes begin
> >         with Upper Case letters.  Constants should be all UPPER_CASE.
> >
> > Dataset hDataset =
> > gdal.Open(filename,gdalconstConstants.GA_ReadOnly).GetDriver().getLongNa
> > me();
> >
> > should read
> >
> > Dataset hDataset =
> > Gdal.open(filename,GdalconstConstants.GA_READONLY).getDriver().getLongNa
> > me();
>
> So what should we do?

You're talking about an hypothetical change, right ? Or I missed that one ;-)

> Prepare for change in GDAL 2.0 sound good to me.
>
> We can have two Java wrapper with a deprecated warning on the older
> (maintain it for about a year or two) and the new one would complain with
> Java standards and updated to whatever the language have evolved so far.

You mean maintaining 2 versions of the bindings in the same branch, like we
did for the old-gen and new-gen python bindings ? This causes much confusion
for users, not mentionning the increased maintenance burden. So I'd prefer if
we can avoid this.

And IMHO GDAL 2.0 isn't necessary a justification to break API. It is more an
opportunity. Luckily, there are still ways of making evolutions without
breaking stuff ;-)