[gdal-dev] Does geotiff support add text labels?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat Dec 11 12:56:29 EST 2010

On 10-12-11 12:50 PM, LiN YongHeng wrote:
> I want to add a text label to my geotiff image. So I want to know how
> can I do that by GDAL?
> Thanks for your help!

Hi,

You aren't too clear on what you want.  You can add textual metadata
to a GeoTIFF file in TIFF tags like TIFFTAG_IMAGEDESCRIPTION using a
command like:

 gdal_translate -mo TIFFTAG_IMAGEDESCRIPTION "my image"  in.tif out.tif

But if what you really want is to render/rasterize text
right into the image then there is no mechanism to do
this using GDAL.