[gdal-dev] Raster algebra with Gdal and Python

Zoltan Szecsei zoltans at geograph.co.za
Tue Feb 2 04:47:25 EST 2010

Alexander Bruy wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> with your help I've fix problem with "integer overflow" and now I get
> correct results.
>
> Also I clean up my code for reduce memory usage but problem with large files is
> remain. I have raster with size 11779*10663 and 5 bands. When I calculate NDVI
> on Linux box (2 Gb RAM, 2Gb swap, GDAL 1.6.3) all works fine and I get correct
> results.Peak memory consumption during this operation is 1900 Mb RAM and
> 300 Mb swap (monitored with htop).
>
> When I run same code with same raster on Windows box (2 Gb RAM, swap size is
> selected by OS ~1.3 Gb, GDAL 1.6.3) I get MemoryError. Peak memory consumption
> during this operation is 600 Mb RAM and 700 Mb swap. I've try smaller
> raster with size
> 8500*7600 pixels but get MemoryError too.

Hi,
I'll bet the problem is that you are hitting the normal 2GB user address
space in Windows.
Google for "/3GB" and you will find how to increase this to 3GB.
I can't tell you outright because you have not mentioned whether you are
using XP or VISTA/Win7 - there are different ways to do it for these OS
versions.
You will have to re-boot after changing the relevant boot.ini or
whatever file.

HTH,
Zoltan

Zoltan Szecsei
Director

Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

65 Main Road, Muizenberg 7945
Western Cape, South Africa.

34° 6'16.35"S 18°28'5.62"E

Tel: +27-21-7884897