[gdal-dev] beginner or bug: reprojecting using ogr2ogr

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Feb 2 11:05:08 EST 2010

Alex Hagen-Zanker wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I just did my first reprojection using ogr2ogr. The process went quite
> patchy and I wonder if this is because of a bug or because I am not
> understanding something really basic.
> I assumed that the following command would do all my work:
>
> % ogr2ogr -f csv -s_srs EPSG:27700 -t_srs WGS84 output.csv input.vrt
> -lco GEOMETRY=AS_XY
>
> It does not work however, and I get an error about "Failed to initialize
> PROJ.4 " due to "unknown ellipical parameter name". See the full error
> at the bottom of this email.

Alex,

As far as I can see this should have worked, and I'm quite mystified
at the error you got since the proj.4 string does contain +ellps=airy
defining the ellipse.

ERROR 6: Failed to initialize PROJ.4 with `+proj=tmerc +lat_0=49 +lon_0=-2
+k=0.9996012717 +x_0=400000 +y_0=-100000 +ellps=airy +datum=OSGB36 +units=m
+no_defs'

I'm sorry I can't offer any sort of useful suggestion.