[gdal-dev] Re: Proposal: gdal_muladd.py

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Feb 2 11:13:54 EST 2010

Antonio Valentino wrote:
> Anyway, IMHO the point here is not to decide if we have to
> *modify* the diff function so that it returns abs(b1-b2).
> Greg asked to add a new one ( abs(b1-b2) ) to the *base set* of pixel
> functions.
> Stated that there is no technical difficulty to do this I'm wondering
> what is the Frank's mind about the question.

Antonio,

I think including abs(b1-b2) just demonstrates that we haven't come
up with a convenient way of stacking more basic operations (difference
and abs).

Honestly, I'm a bit ambivalent about fleshing out the use of
pixel operations in VRT files and I've never used them myself.
I think I would prefer to wait for a more generalized expression
evaluation mechanism for VRT or possibly as a distinct driver.

However, if there are other GDAL developers keen on this functionality,
and willing to take responsibility for integration, documentation and
support then I'm willing to let them proceed.