[gdal-dev] ogr2ogr .SHP to .KML conversion problem

Mattias Carlsson powerphysics at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 2 16:01:22 EST 2010

Hi,

I am trying to learn how to use ogr2ogr to convert a shapefile to kml, but fail to do so and cannot understand whether I am at all on the right track or completely lost (very much beginner in GIS). I would like to convert either, or all, of the files on <http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/LandandDevelopment/DDC/GasElectricNW/undergroundcables/shape/> to .kml and try using

>ogr2ogr -f "KML" LINE.kml LINE.shp

but get a buffer overflow (I can send a backtrace if this would help):

>*** buffer overflow detected ***: ogr2ogr terminated

(btw, I am using Ubuntu 9.10)

Apologies if this is the wrong forum or totally basic, but after many frustrations I am getting desperate and, please, please, guide me in the right direction...

Thanks!

\Mattias