[gdal-dev] ODBC as OGR data source?

Gregor at HostGIS gregor at hostgis.com
Wed Feb 3 19:10:03 EST 2010

Hey all. I've been asked to set up support for pseudo-spatial data via
ODBC. So far, I've not had any luck. We're using this as our starting point:
    http://mapserver.org/input/vector/VirtualSpatialData.html

But I get this...

$ ogrinfo ODBC:gregor/mosheh at testPgSQL table
*** glibc detected *** free(): invalid next size (fast):
0x0000000000505520 ***
Aborted

So my very first questions are a) whether the tricks described in that
document has ever been considered production-stable, and b) whether
upgrading from GDAL/OGR 1.5.4 to 1.6.3 is likely to help. Then of course
(c) would be "So what AM I doing wrong?" :)

The OS is Linux, and I have installed unixODBC and drivers for
PostgreSQL (bundled with unixODBC) and MySQL (MySQL Connector). I then
rebuilt GDAL/OGR 1.5.4 including --withodbc=/usr/local/unixODBC

My odbc.ini is as follows:

[testPgSQL]
Description         = Test to Postgres
Driver              = PostgreSQL
Database            = MY_DATABASE
Servername          = MY_HOSTNAME
Port                = 5432
Protocol            = 8.2
ReadOnly            = No
RowVersioning       = No
ShowSystemTables    = No
ShowOidColumn       = No
FakeOidIndex        = No
ConnSettings        =

--
HostGIS, Open Source solutions for the global GIS community
Greg Allensworth - SysAdmin, Programmer, GIS Person, Security

"No one cares if you can back up — only if you can recover."